Saturday, January 28, 2012

Slow Down Your Travels

The days are getting noticeably longer.  I don't really pay attention for a few days, then miracle of miracles: we're doing chores at 5 pm and don't have to wear headlamps to see the cows.  I can't recall having enjoyed the winter quite so much in the past.  I'm finding that if I dress warmly enough and keep active, the cold doesn't bother me too much.  Sunshine, fresh air, and physical exertion in January are most definitely the antidotes to the winter blues.  I admit that it's also been unseasonably, weirdly warm (45 degrees and sunny today), which also helps even though I'm not a big fan of climate change.

In addition to business and crop planning classes, this week we visited Ron Mott, of Mott Iron Works, for welding lessons.  Welding is a good skill to have if you decide that you want to repair your own farm equipment, or even if you're just interested in using an incredibly hot torch to melt pieces of metal together wearing a cool helmet.  Ron is a second-generation fabricator and does mostly custom ornamental work throughout New England.  Check out his portfolio - he's amazing: http://www.mottironworks.com/index.html  He lives with his family in North Orange, not even 2 miles from the school!  What a great resource for us to have.  Oh, and he's also a really nice guy and a good teacher.


Here you can see what "laying down a welding bead" looks like when newbies practice.  Ron assured us that we did a good job.  See...nice guy. 


His best advice?  When laying down a bead, take your time and go slow to make sure you get a good weld. He would frequently tell us, "Slow down your travels."  Excellent advice, Ron Mott.  Excellent advice.

Here's a photo of Ron's studio.  The wood structures are molds for iron railings.


From left, in disguise: Theo, Grace, Keith, Jason, Liz.  May the force be with you.


3 comments:

  1. Nathaniel pointed me to your blog -- looking forward to following your farm school adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Blog! My cousin,Dana Master, shared your blog with me because I am in the process of, too, applying for the farm school for next season! I would love to chat with you about your experience!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liz, I love it..
    Will follow future postings with bated breath.
    It was great to see you last nite...
    Stay warm!
    Barry

    ReplyDelete