Friday, August 26, 2011

Farming 101

Pinch me.  Am I really doing this?  Am I really leaving my medical practice for an organic farming apprenticeship?  Yes.  Do I know what I'm getting myself into?  Sort of.  Am I having any second thoughts?  Nope.

How, might you ask, am I preparing for farm life?   I have a summer reading list: "The Dirty Life" by Kristin Kimball; "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" by Barbara Kingsolver; and "The Omnivore's Dilemma" by Michael Pollan.  And a whole list of resources that people have been enthusiastically providing me since I announced my intentions.  Plus a pair of wellies.  All of this should adequately prepare me for the farm, right?  Right.

When I say "Farming 101" I am not kidding.  The extent of my farming experience consists of raised beds of tomatoes, herbs and wildflowers in my backyard in the 'burbs of Holyoke:





My biggest worry, of all things, is being cold.  I don't like being cold.  But, I take solace in the words of a friend: "There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing."  I intend to take this piece of information to heart and buy out the fleece-lined outerwear inventory at the Duluth Trading Company.  Oh, and I admit that I'm a little anxious about chopping wood.  My brother tried to teach me to use an axe last year.  I timidly brought it down on a piece of firewood, only to have it bounce off and hit me in the shin.  Never fear, I wasn't maimed, just bruised and a tad embarrassed.

Here we go!

The Farm School: http://www.farmschool.org/index.html

No comments:

Post a Comment