Saturday, October 1, 2011

First Day!

My month of leisure time has come to an end.  I've been galavanting around Cape Cod and Austin and making day trips back to the Pioneer Valley to see friends.  That's okay because, OMG, I'm now officially a student farmer!

Today was packed with activity and information. Breakfast. Introductions. Tours. Lunch. Digging in the dirt, harvesting potatoes. Meeting the animals: chickens, cows, horses, pigs, goats, and turkeys. The turkeys are scheduled for "processing" at the end of this month...I decided not to bond with them.  And finally, a barbeque, with most of the food coming from the farm.  I'm not much of a beef person, but grass-fed burgers are surely a gift from the gods.

There are twelve of us student-farmers...I'm keeping company with some amazing people. Just as I suspected, I'm the senior member of the group.  The faculty is full of energy and very warm and welcoming.  This weekend we'll be getting two days of cooking classes.  If I had to come up with a title for the cooking class, it might be: Don't Panic! Learn to cook for 25 people, make it tasty and nutritious, and live to tell about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment